Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Love: Day 6 - Boasting

For the past four days the internet in my apartment has been out. It was so aggravating and really started to get me down because all I wanted to do was be able to write my blogs! What was even more frustrating was the fact that it was only my internet. My roommates all had theirs up and running, and despite whatever I tried I couldn't get my internet to work on my laptop! This meant no blog, but also no worship music. I listen to worship music ALL the time when I am at my apartment. It took me a couple days, but I eventually realized what was happening. I was being put through a trial. God was saying "You've done really great this week Nastassia, you are focusing on me and you have been going strong. But what happens when I take the easy paths away? What happens when you can't write on your blog every day or turn to worship music instead of your Bible or prayer when you want to cry out to me?" It made (and continues to make) so much sense to me. It was really humbling to have God tell me to stop focusing on certain things (even in my walk with Him) and focus on Him ALONE. I believe He wanted to humble me more than ever and tell me some things before He allowed me to write this next blog. But before I continue I just want to say: God is asking you the same questions, and if you just listen you will hear them being asked. When you want to hear from God, do you immediately turn to others for guidance, the internet for Bible verses, worship music for release...? Or do you run into His arms and get on your face in prayer and open your Bible and let Him lead you to what He wants to show you? We are all guilty of this. There is NOTHING wrong with any of those things (using the internet to research, listen to worship music, etc). Those things are all great things. But sometimes it's best to shut off your computer, your phone, and just pray to Him and listen to what He wants to tell you.

There are still plenty of days left in November to pick right back up where I left off a few days ago and still cover all of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"...it (love) does not boast."

In other words, love does not brag, does not show off, does not say HEY! Look at me!
Here are some situations we typically like to brag in/on:
-Our accomplishments
-Our traits & characteristics
-People we know & how well we know them
....And the list can go on and on...

So why do we brag???
Maybe we have low self-esteem and we feel the need to boost ourselves up in the light of others. Maybe we are hot headed and think way too highly of ourselves. Maybe we desperately just want the approval of another human being, or maybe it's even that we want to show off and make someone want what we have. Can I tell you that ALL of these can be broken from you through Jesus Christ? If you have low self-esteem, you probably aren't seeking Jesus first. I used to suffer so bad from this, thinking that I wasn't pretty and that my body wasn't good enough, and that nobody loved me or wanted anything to do with me. These are lies from the enemy!

"So God made man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." -Genesis 1:27

God made you in HIS IMAGE! That alone should make you feel incredibly beautiful and wonderful, because our God is perfect, and if we are made in His image, that means we are perfect to Him.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." -Psalm 139:14

We are WONDERFULLY made!!! His works are WONDERFUL!!! Can't you see that this means you are wonderful?? If you are struggling, lay it at the foot of the cross, give it to Jesus.

The same is true for the others reasons for bragging that I gave. If you are prideful, lay it at the feet of Jesus. As far as wanting the approval of others, or craving their attention, there is one verse that speaks SO loudly about this:

"Am I not trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." -Galatians 1:10

I love that verse. Stop worrying about what people think about you! Stop worrying about their approval and attention! They are not your god, you do not get your identity in them or anything of this world. Your identity comes from Christ, and Christ alone. Speak that truth over your life. There is no excuse for bragging or boasting. The Bible says simply that we are NOT to do it. Don't worry about what others think and focus on what God SAYS. Focus on your relationship with GOD not with man.


James 4:17 - ESV  
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment